May 2017 Interim Session in Stuttgart, Germany

PDF of the following minutes

IEEE 802.1 Working Group

15-18 May 2017 Interim Meeting

Stuttgart, Germany

Meeting Minutes

The 802.1 Chair, Glenn Parsons, presided.

The 802.1 Recording Secretary, Jessy Rouyer, wrote the minutes in part based on input from 802.1 Task Group Chairs.

1       Attendance and affiliation

Last Name First Name Affiliation
Baehren Frank Intel Corporation
Bao Shenghua HUAWEI
Bechstein Ralph Viavi Solutions
Bechtel Gordon Bechtech
Bierschenk Jens Robert Bosch GmbH
Boiger Christian b-plus GmbH
Chen David Nokia
Chen Feng Siemens AG
Cummings Rodney National Instruments Corporation
Elbakoury Hesham Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Ellegaard Lars Microsemi Corporation
Farkas Janos Ericsson
Finn Norman Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Gangula Sridhara ADVA Optical Networking Ltd.
Garner Geoffrey Broadcom Corporation
Geilhardt Frank Deutsche Telekom AG
Geyer Fabien Airbus Group
Glass Jonas Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Gray Eric W Ericsson AB
Gutierrez Marina TTTech Computertechnik AG
Haddock Stephen Stephen Haddock Consulting, LLC
Hantel Mark Rockwell Automation
Hu NongDa Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Huang Jing Huawei Technologies Co.,  Ltd
Hummen Rene Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Illouz Marc L-Acoustics
Karl Michael Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
Kehrer Stephan Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Kiessling Marcel Siemens AG
KOTO Hajime National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)
Mansfield Scott Telefon AB LM Ericsson
Marks Roger EthAirNet Associates; Huawei
Messenger John ADVA Optical Networking Ltd.
Mueck Florian Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Mustala Tero Nokia Networks
Ohsawa Tomoki NICT
Pannell Donald R Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
Parsons Glenn Ericsson AB
QIU WEI Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Riegel Maximilian Nokia Networks
Rouyer Jessy Nokia
Schmitt Juergen Siemens AG
Seaman Michael Individual
Seehofer Markus Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Specht Johannes University of Duisburg-Essen and General Motors Company
Thaler Patricia Broadcom Limited
Turner Max BMW Group
Unbehagen Paul Avaya Inc.
Veisllari Raimena TransPacket
Wang Hao Fujitsu Research & Development Center
Wang Tongtong Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Wang Xinyuan Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Weber Karl Beckhoff
Woods Jordon Innovasic, Inc.
wu yanwei ZTE Corporation
Yin Yue Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
YU XIANG Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Zein Nader NEC Corporation

2       Data Center Bridging

The Data Center Bridging (DCB) Task Group Chair, Patricia Thaler, presided.

Patricia Thaler wrote the minutes.

 

At the beginning of the meetings on Wednesday, Patricia Thaler verified that all participants had seen the IEEE-SA PatCom Patent Slides for Standards Development Meetings earlier in the week, and made the “Call for Potentially Essential Patents”. There were no responses to the calls prior to the end of the week’s sessions.

 

Tuesday 17 January 2017 9:15 AM-12:40 PM

Call to order: 17 May 2017, 9:15 AM

 

Patricia Thaler presented the following agenda for the meeting:

  • New work
  • P802c
  • 1CQ

This agenda was approved.

 

Yolanda Yu presented Requirement Discussion of Flow-Based Flow Control(FFC) http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-dcb-yolanda-ffc-proposal-0517-v01.pdf

  • Suggestions were made that congestion control is a preferred mechanism for minimizing congestion spreading when PFC is used or for using instead of PFC when protocols can tolerate some drops.
  • Concerns were expressed about the amount of memory needed for headroom to support more granular flow control.

 

Patricia Thaler reported that P802c has been submitted to RevCom.

 

Mick Seaman presented Trusted MAC Addresses, Making MAC Address filtering and authorization meaningful http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cq-seaman-trusted-addresses-0517-v0.pdf

  • Consensus was that this is an interesting approach. Something to be explored is what part of this belongs in P802.1CQ and what belongs elsewhere. Some might belong in IETF.

3       Maintenance

The Maintenance Task Group minutes are incorporated in these minutes by reference and are available at http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/maint/2017-05-maintenance-meeting-v2.pdf.

 

Maintenance Task Group meeting minutes for prior meetings are available at:

http://www.ieee802.org/1/maint.html

4       OmniRAN

The OmniRAN Task Group minutes are incorporated in these minutes by reference and are available at https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/17/omniran-17-0047-00-00TG-may-2017-f2f-meeting-minutes.docx.

 

Current status of OmniRAN Task Group activities (including future meeting announcements, past meeting and conference call minutes) is available via a wiki located at https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/bp/StartPage.

5       Security

The Security Task Group did not meet at this meeting.

6       Time-Sensitive Networking

The Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) Task Group Chair, János Farkas presided. Jessy Rouyer wrote the minutes.

 

At the beginning of the meetings on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and following announcement of the TSN tutorial at IETF 100 on Tuesday, János Farkas presented the IEEE-SA PatCom Patent Slides for Standards Development Meetings https://development.standards.ieee.org/myproject/Public/mytools/mob/slideset.pdf, and made the Call for Potentially Essential Patents. There were no responses to the calls prior to the end of the week’s session.

 

On Tuesday evening, János Farkas presented http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/tsn-farkas-intro-0517-v01.pdf.

 

Monday 15 May 2017 8:00 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 15 May 2017, 8:00 AM

 

János Farkas presented the agenda for the TSN Task Group meeting week:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O5lv694swodupIy-0yjOlTNMeV2Y0G-fyM9cNDChKtE/edit?usp=drive_web.

Disposition: This agenda was approved.

 

János Farkas reported on TSN marketing efforts:

 

Geoff Garner, P802.1AS-Rev editor, finished resolving comments received in the TG ballot on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/as-rev-drafts/d4/802-1AS-rev-d4-5.pdf.

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/as-rev-drafts/d4/802-1AS-rev-d4-5-dis.pdf

 

János Farkas led the review of the P802.1AS-REV PAR extension in http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-farkas-P802-1AS-Rev-PAR-modification-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project; more discussion needed

 

Rodney Cummings, P802.1Qcc editor, presented 802.1Qcc D1.4: Intro for Comment Resolution http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cc-cummings-d14-comments-intro-0517-v1.pdf, and began resolving comments received in the WG ballot for P802.1Qcr on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cc-drafts/d1/802-1Qcc-d1-4.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded post-meeting in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cc-drafts/d1/802-1Qcc-d1-4-dis.pdf

 

Rodney Cummings, P802.1Qcc editor, led the review of a draft P802.1Qcc PAR extension: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cc-cummings-par-extension-proposal.pdf

Disposition: Update based on discussion: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cc-cummings-par-extension-proposal-v2.pdf; draft PAR provided post-meeting: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cc-PAR-extension-0517-v01.pdf

 

Tuesday 16 May 2017 10:30 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 16 May 2017, 10:30 AM

 

The 802.1 Chair, Glenn Parsons, presented regarding the planned September 2017 interim meeting in St. John’s Newfoundland Canada http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/admin-parsons-nfld-interim-update-0517-v1.pdf and conducted the following straw polls:

  • “How many people will be expecting to come to the meeting in September?”: 45
  • “Who prefers Social option #1?”: 16
  • “Who prefers Social option #2?”: 1
  • “Who wants lunch included?”: 15

The 802.1 Chair noted a preference for including lunch and noted that attendees could stay at another hotel than the meeting’s hotel as there is no minimum block.

 

The 802.1 Chair announced that there will be a Monday night “Automotive tutorial” at the July 2017 IEEE 802 plenary meeting on how 802 technologies apply to the automobile and what new work is in progress to support this. He added that this tutorial will replace the TSN tutorial.

 

The TSN TG Chair, Janos Farkas, noted that there will be a tutorial on TSN at IETF 100 in the afternoon of July 16th.

 

János Farkas, P802.1CM editor, presented IEEE P802.1CM Time-Sensitive Networking for Fronthaul http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cm-farkas-overview-for-MEF-MBH-IA-0417.pptx, P802.1CM – D0.6 Editor’s Report http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cm-farkas-editor-report-0317-v05.pdf, and  completed the resolution of comments received in the TG ballot on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cm-drafts/d0/802-1CM-d0-6.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cm-drafts/d0/802-1CM-d0-6-dis-v01.pdf (provided post-meeting), prepare a further TG ballot

 

Norman Finn presented YANG model requirements for queuing http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-finn-queue-YANG-req-05-17-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to new subject; more discussion needed

 

Stephan Kehrer presented TSN Configuration From MIB to YANG – how to proceed? http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cb-kehrer-TSN-Configuration-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Proposes new project; PAR/CSD to be prepared

 

Stephan Kehrer led the review of draft PAR/CSD for P802.1CBcv (Information Model, YANG Data Model and Management Information Base Module):

Disposition: Updated draft PAR/CSD (provided post-meeting) to be pre-circulated for vote at the July 2017 plenary meeting:

 

Johannes Specht, P802.1Qcr editor, began resolving comments received in the TG ballot on http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cr-drafts/d0/802-1Qcr-d0-1.pdf based on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cr-drafts/d0/802-1Qcr-D0-1-pdis-v1.pdf

Disposition: Continue ballot resolution to continue this week or on TSN TG conference calls

 

Wednesday 17 May 2017 8:00 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 17 May 2017, 8:00 AM

 

Jessy Rouyer presented the following incoming liaisons regarding YANG for CFM:

Disposition: Prepare an outgoing liaison response

 

Scott Mansfield presented CFM YANG http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-smansfield-YANG-cfm-document-0517-v04.pdf

Disposition: Related to new subject; more discussion needed

 

Tongtong Wang presented Need for Yang Model with 802.1Qbv http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-wangtt-need-for-yang-model-0517.pdf

Disposition: Related to two new subjects; more discussion needed

 

János Farkas led a discussion to decide if the TSN TG should develop one or two PARs for proposed YANG modules based on 802.1Q (CFM, TSN) and conducted two Straw Polls, the 802.1 Chair noting that the decision taken as a result of these Straw Polls may still be flipped at the July 2017 plenary meeting:

  • “Who supports all these four features [CFM, 802.1Qbu/Qbv/Qci] in one PAR?”: 2
  • “Who supports two PARs [one on CFM and another on 802.1Qbu/Qbv/Qci]?”: 13

Disposition: Two PARs/CSDs to be prepared

 

Marina Gutiérrez led the review of draft PAR/CSD for P802.1ABcu (Station and Media Access Control Connectivity Discovery Amendment: YANG Data Model):

Disposition: more discussion needed

 

Marina Gutiérrez led the review of draft PAR/CSD for P802.1Qcw (YANG Data Models for Scheduled Traffic, Frame Preemption, and Per-Stream Filtering and Policing):

Disposition: Updated draft PAR/CSD (provided post-meeting) to be pre-circulated for vote at the July 2017 plenary meeting:

 

Marina Gutiérrez led the review of draft PAR/CSD for P802.1Qcx (Bridges and Bridged Networks Amendment: YANG Data Model for Connectivity Fault Management):

Disposition: Updated draft PAR/CSD (provided post-meeting) to be pre-circulated for vote at the July 2017 plenary meeting:

 

Jessy Rouyer presented a draft of the outgoing liaison response (http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-response-CFM-YANG-0517-v01.pdf) to the incoming liaison letters from MEF (http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-MEF-L00265_SOAMYANG-0517.pdf) and ITU-T SG15 (http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-ITUT-SG15-LS019-CFM_YANG-0417.pdf) on YANG for CFM.

Disposition: Use an ePoll closing May 28th to approve sending this liaison out

 

Steve Haddock, P802.1AX-Rev editor, presented 802.1AX Link Aggregation 802.1AXRev2d0.1 Editor’s Report http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/ax-rev-haddock-editors-report-0517-v1.pdf and http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/ax-rev-drafts/d0/802-1ax-rev-d0-1.pdf

Disposition: Initiate a TG ballot on draft 0.1

 

Steve Haddock, P802.1AX-Rev editor, presented 802.1AX ‐‐  Link Aggregation: Conversation Sensitive Collection and  Distribution (CSCD) http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/ax-rev-haddock-conversation-sensitive-collection-distribution-0517-v1.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project; updated based on discussion as: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/ax-rev-haddock-conversation-sensitive-collection-distribution-0517-v2.pdf

 

János Farkas led the review of the draft P802.1AS-REV PAR extension http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-farkas-P802-1AS-Rev-PAR-modification-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project; more discussion needed Updated draft PAR (provided post-meeting):

 

Geoff Garner continued the review of P802.1AS D4.5 comments.

 

Thursday 18 May 2017 8:00 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 18 May 2017, 8:00 AM

 

János Farkas presented the revised PAR for P802.1AS-REV PAR extension http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-farkas-P802-1AS-Rev-PAR-modification-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Updated draft PAR (provided post-meeting) to be pre-circulated for vote at the July 2017 plenary meeting: http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-rev-PAR-modification-0517-v01.pdf

 

Mick Seaman presented Securing Ethernet in the car http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/ae-seaman-security-in-the-car-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to new subject; more discussion needed

 

Johannes Specht, P802.1Qcr editor, continued resolving comments received in the TG ballot on http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cr-drafts/d0/802-1Qcr-d0-1.pdf based on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cr-drafts/d0/802-1Qcr-D0-1-pdis-v1.pdf

Disposition: Continue ballot resolution on TSN TG conference calls

 

Norman Finn presented LRP Draft 0 http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cs-finn-lrp-draft-0-05-17-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project

 

Juergen Schmitt presented 802.1CS Link-local Registration Protocol: Thoughts on options http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cs-schmitt-lrp-proposals-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project

 

Feng Chen and Marcel Kiessling presented Proposal for a Resource Allocation Protocol based on 802.1CS LRP http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-chen-RAP-proposal-and-requirements-0517-v02.pdf

Disposition: Related to new subject; more discussion needed

 

Marcel Kiessling presented Resource Allocation Protocol (RAP) based on 802.1CS Link-local Registration Protocol http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-kiessling-RAP-poposal-and-features-0517-v01.pdf

Disposition: Proposes new project; more discussion needed

 

Jordon Woods presented Cut-Through Considerations and Impacts to Industrial Networks http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-woods-cutthroughconsiderations-0518-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to new subject; more discussion needed

 

János Farkas led the generation of draft PAR/CSD for P802.1ABcu

Disposition: Updated draft PAR/CSD (provided post-meeting) to be pre-circulated for vote at the July 2017 plenary meeting:

7       Next meeting

9-14 July 2017 IEEE 802.1 Plenary meeting, Berlin, Germany

Sidebar