September 2017 Interim Meeting in St John’s, NL, Canada

PDF of the following minutes

IEEE 802.1 Working Group

5-8 September 2017 Interim Meeting

St John’s, Newfoundland, Canada

Meeting Minutes

The 802.1 Chair, Glenn Parsons, presided.

The 802.1 Recording Secretary, Jessy Rouyer, wrote the minutes in part based on input from

802.1 Task Group Chairs.

1       Attendance and affiliation

Last Name First Name Affiliation
Assmann Ralf Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
Bao Shenghua HUAWEI
Bjornstad Steinar TransPacket
Boiger Christian b-plus GmbH
Bottorff Paul Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
Chen David Nokia
Chen Feng Siemens AG
Congdon Paul Tallac Networks; Huawei
Cummings Rodney National Instruments Corporation
Elbakoury Hesham Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Ellegaard Lars Microsemi Corporation
Fang Yonggang ZTE TX Inc
Farkas Janos Ericsson
Finn Norman Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Fontaine Mickael TransPacket
Garner Geoffrey Broadcom Corporation
Gravel Mark Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Gray Eric W Ericsson AB
Gunther Craig HARMAN INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIES, INCORPORATED
Gutierrez Marina TTTech Computertechnik AG
Haddock Stephen Stephen Haddock Consulting, LLC
Hantel Mark Rockwell Automation
Holness Marc Ciena Corporation
Hotta Yoshifumi Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Itaya Satoko National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)
Kehrer Stephan Hirschmann Automation and Control, Inc.
Kojima Fumihide National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)
KOTO Hajime National Institute of Information and Communications Technology (NICT)
Mangin Christophe Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Mansfield Scott Telefon AB LM Ericsson
Maruhashi Kenichi NEC Corporation
Mayer Michael Huawei Technologies Co. Canada Ltd
Messenger John ADVA Optical Networking Ltd.
Mustala Tero Nokia Networks
Nikolich Paul SAMSUNG
Ohsawa Tomoki NICT
Pannell Donald R Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
Parsons Glenn Ericsson AB
Pienciak Walter IEEE
QIU WEI Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Ren Maohua CRRC Zhuzhou Institute Co.Ltd
Riegel Maximilian Nokia Networks
Rouyer Jessy Nokia
Shen Li Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Specht Johannes University of Duisburg-Essen and General Motors Company
Su Dang CRRC Zhuzhou Institute Co.Ltd
Thaler Patricia Broadcom Limited
Unbehagen Paul Avaya Inc.
Wang Hao Fujitsu Research & Development Center
Wang Tongtong Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Wang Xinyuan Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Winkel Ludwig Siemens AG
YU XIANG Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Zein Nader NEC Corporation

 

 

 

2       Task Group Meetings

2.1    Data Center Bridging

The Data Center Bridging (DCB) Task Group Chair, Patricia Thaler, presided and wrote the minutes.

At the beginning of the meeting on Wednesday, Patricia Thaler presented the IEEE-SA PatCom Patent Slides for Standards Development Meetings, and presented the IEEE 802 Participation slide. At the beginning of the meetings on Wednesday and Thursday, Patricia Thaler made the “Call for Potentially Essential Patents”. There were no responses to the calls prior to the end of the week’s sessions.

 

Tuesday 5 September 2017 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
Call to order: 5 September 2017 10:00 AM

 

Patricia Thaler presented the following agenda for the meeting:

  • New Work presentation on congestion isolation – Paul Congdon
  • Review presentation on IEEE 802c – Roger Marks

This agenda was approved.

 

Paul Congdon presented Congestion Management – Congestion Isolation http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-dcb-congdon-congestion-isolation-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: Based on comments, Paul Congdon updated the presentation as http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-dcb-congdon-congestion-isolation-0917-v02.pdf after the meeting. Suggestions were made that this should also be presented to the IEEE 802.1 TSN TG for broader feedback.

 

Thursday 7 September 2017 1:30 PM-3:00 PM
Call to order: 7 September 2017 1:30 PM

 

Roger Marks presented IEEE Std 802c: What’s New and Useful in the Overview and Architecture http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/802c-Marks-summary-0917-r0.pdf,

slides that he planned to present at the wireless interim the next week.

Disposition: Presentation updated as http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/802c-Marks-summary-0917-r1.pdf

2.2    Maintenance

The Maintenance Task Group minutes are incorporated in these minutes by reference and are available at http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/maint/2017-09-maintenance-meeting-v1.pdf.

2.3    OmniRAN

OmniRAN Task Group meeting minutes are incorporated into these minutes by reference and are available at https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/17/omniran-17-0070-00-00TG-september-2017-f2f-meeting-minutes.docx.

 

Current status of OmniRAN Task Group activities (including future meeting announcements, past meeting and conference call minutes) is available via a wiki located at https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/bp/StartPage.

2.4    Time-Sensitive Networking

The Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) Task Group Chair, János Farkas presided. Craig Gunther wrote the minutes.

 

At the beginning of the meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, János Farkas presented the IEEE-SA PatCom Patent Slides for Standards Development Meetings https://development.standards.ieee.org/myproject/Public/mytools/mob/slideset.pdf, and made the Call for Potentially Essential Patents. There were no responses to the calls prior to the end of the week’s session.

 

 

Tuesday 5 September 2017 8:00 AM-4:00 PM

Call to order: 5 September 2017, 8:00 AM

 

János Farkas presented the agenda for the TSN Task Group meeting week: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dC1LbGGD01vdoElrg-OLpZc13gKR50DV4yzclrs6qE8

Disposition: Administrative

 

Glenn Parsons presented the St. John’s meeting details

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/admin-parsons-nfld-interim-update-0917-v1.pdf

Disposition: Administrative

 

Hajime Koto presented a proposal for a future interim meeting location http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/admin-koto-proposal-of-IEEE802-1-Interim-meeting-0917.pdf

Disposition: Administrative

 

János Farkas provided a TSN promotion update on:

Disposition: TSN promotion update

 

 

 

Geoff Garner, P802.1AS-Rev editor, led the resolution of comments received on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/as-rev-drafts/d5/802-1AS-rev-d5-0.pdf, and presented P802.1AS-Rev/D5.0 Editor’s Report http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-garner-802-1AS-Rev-d5-0-wg-ballot-editors-report-07-17-v5.pdf and Items Related to Several Managed Objects Pertaining to EPON Transport in 802.1AS-Rev http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/as-garner-802-1as-d5-0-comment-epon-managed-objects-0917.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/as-rev-drafts/d5/802-1AS-rev-d5-0-dis.pdf

 

Rodney Cummings, P802.1Qcc editor, led the resolution of comments received on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cc-drafts/d1/802-1Qcc-d1-6.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cc-drafts/d1/802-1Qcc-d1-6-dis-v2.pdf.

 

 

Wednesday 6 September 2017 10:00 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 6 September 2017, 10:00 AM

 

János Farkas presented the incoming liaison letter in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-bbf2017.525.01-SOAM_YANG-0717.pdf

Disposition: Incoming liaison letter, response covered by http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-ITUT-SG15-LS43_CFM_YANG-0717.pdf

 

Marc Holness, P802.1Qcp editor, presented http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cp-drafts/d1/802-1Qcp-d1-2-dis-v01.pdf, showed https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-bjorklund-netmod-rfc7223bis-00.txt, and added a rogue comment on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cp-drafts/d1/802-1Qcp-d1-2.pdf based on discussion.

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cp-drafts/d1/802-1Qcp-d1-2-dis-v02.pdf

 

Scott Mansfield presented Draft YANG for P802.1ABcu http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cu-mansfield-draft-YANG-0917-v02.pdf

Disposition: Related to new project; more discussion needed

 

Scott Mansfield presented Draft YANG for P802.1Qcx http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cx-mansfield-draft-YANG-0917-v02.pdf

Disposition: Related to new project; more discussion needed

 

Norman Finn, P802.1CB editor, provided an update on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cb-drafts/d2/802-1CB-d2-9.pdf

Disposition: Editor’s update on ongoing project

 

János Farkas presented Rebuttal Comments from 802.11 with responses from 802.1 http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/admin-farkas-11-rebuttal-responses-0717-v1.pdf regarding the P802.1CBcv PAR and CSD updated as

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cv-draft-PAR-0917-v01.pdf, and

http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cv-draft-CSD-0917-v01.pdf, respectively.

Disposition: New project; updated PAR will be precirculated

 

 

 

Norman Finn, P802.1CS editor, led the resolution of comments received on http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cs-drafts/d1/802-1CS-d1-0.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cs-drafts/d1/802-1CS-d1-0-pdis-v02.pdf

 

A joint meeting of the OmniRAN and TSN TGs was held starting at 1:30 PM.

During this joint meeting, Max Riegel presented Time Sensitive Networking within the scope of P802.1CF https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/17/omniran-17-0067-02-CF00-tsn-in-the-scope-of-p802-1cf.pptx. The two TGs met separately following discussion of this presentation.

Disposition: Related to ongoing project. Also see page 4 of the OmniRAN TG minutes.

 

Paul Bottorff presented Edge Control Transport for LRP http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cs-bottorff-ecp-lrp-0917-v2.pdf

Disposition: Supports ballot comment

 

Ludwig Winkel presented Information from IEC TC65 to IEEE 802 http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-winkel-tsn-profile-0917-v00.pdf

Disposition: Proposes new project; more discussion needed

 

 

Thursday 07 September 2017 8:00 AM-6:00 PM

Call to order: 07 September 2017, 8:00 AM

 

Tero Mustala and Olivier Klein presented eCPRI Overview http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cm-mustala-eCPRI-Overview-0917.pdf

Disposition: Contribution to ongoing project

 

Glenn Parsons presented the incoming liaison letter in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-3GPP-RAN3-173354-0917.zip

Disposition: Incoming liaison letter, response will be sent from next Plenary

 

János Farkas presented Support for eCPRI in 802.1CM http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cm-farkas-eCPRI-support-0917-v01.pdf,

and Leveraging ON/OFF Traffic Model – Literature Example http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cm-farkas-leveraging-ON-OFF-traffic-model-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: Contributions to ongoing project

 

Hajime Koto presented IEEE 802.1 Interim meeting proposal January, 2019 in Japan http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/admin-koto-proposal-of-IEEE802-1-Interim-meeting-0917.pdf. János Farkas then conducted a straw poll on the desired dates and location of the January 2019 interim meeting.

Disposition: Straw poll results:

  • Chicago rules: Kobe 21, Hiroshima 20, Fukuoka 18.
  • Single vote: Hiroshima 16, Kobe 12, Fukuoka 5.

Hiroshima, 14-18 January 2019, were chosen as the desired location and dates.

 

János Farkas presented DetNet update from IETF 99 http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-farkas-DetNet-update-from-IETF99-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: Update on ongoing work in related WG

 

Norman Finn presented Filling DetNet Needs http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-finn-detnet-needs-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposals; more discussion needed

 

Paul Unbehagen, P802.1Qcj editor, led the resolution of comments received on http://ieee802.org/1/files/private/cj-drafts/d0/802-1Qcj-d0-2.pdf

Disposition: Ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/cj-drafts/d0/802-1Qcj-d0-2-pdis-v00.pdf

 

Norman Finn presented 802.1Q Queues for non-bridges

http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-finn-non-bridge-queuing-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposal; more discussion needed

 

Stephen Haddock, P802.1AX-Rev editor, presented 802.1AX ‐‐ Link Aggregation: Editor’s Report: September 2017 http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/ax-rev-haddock-editors-report-0917-v1.pdf and concluded the resolution of comments received on http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/ax-rev-drafts/d0/802-1ax-rev-d0-1.pdf

Disposition: Editor’s update on ongoing project and ballot comment resolution recorded in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/private/ax-rev-drafts/d0/802-1AX-Rev-d0-1-pdis-v02.pdf

 

Craig Gunther presented 802.1 Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) on 802.3cg Multidrop networks http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/tsn-cgunther-802-3cg-multidrop-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: Update on ongoing work in related WG

 

 

Friday 08 September 2017 8:00 AM-4:00 PM

Call to order: 08 September 2017, 8:00 AM

 

Scott Mansfield presented the incoming liaison letter in http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/liaison-MEF-L00268_MEF_10.4_AD1_0917.pdf and MEF 10.4-related material posted post-meeting in MEF 10.4 Notes http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/yangsters-smansfield-mef-10-4-notes-0917-v01.pptx

Disposition: Incoming liaison letter, response will be sent from next Plenary

 

Rodney Cummings presented TSN Configuration Roadmap http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-cummings-tsn-config-roadmap-0717-v0.pdf

Disposition: New proposals; more discussion needed

 

Feng Shen presented More details on Resource Allocation Protocol (RAP)

http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-chen-RAP-details-0717-v03.pdf and posted http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/tsn-chen-RAP-whitepaper-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposals; more discussion needed

 

Christophe Mangin presented Extension of Stream Identification Functions http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-mangin-extension-stream-id-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposals; more discussion needed

 

 

 

Johannes Specht, P802.1Qcr editor, presented Bridge Timing http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/cr-specht-bridge-timing-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: Related to ongoing project; more discussion needed

 

Michael Mayer presented Recent work to define asymmetry correction http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-mayer-asymmetry-correction-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposal; more discussion needed

 

Wayne Qiu presented Future Industrial Network Requirement Discussion for TSN http://ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-qiu-future-industrial-network-requirement-0917-v01.pdf

Disposition: New proposal; more discussion needed

 

Paul Congdon presented Congestion Management – Congestion Isolation http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2017/new-dcb-congdon-congestion-isolation-0917-v02.pdf

Disposition: New proposal; more discussion needed

 

3       Next meeting

6-10 November 2017, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.

Sidebar