The full title of this PAR is “Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks-Virtual Bridged Local Area Networks – Bridge Port Extension”.
This standard specifies the devices, protocols, procedures and managed objects necessary to extend a bridge and its management beyond its physical enclosure using 802 LAN technologies. To this end it:
- Indentifies and isolates traffic between ports within an Extended Bridge;
- Specifies a tag format for this identification;
- Establishes an Extended Bridge consisting of a Controlling Bridge and one or more Bridge Port Extenders;
- Specifies the functionality and the specific requirements of a Bridge Port Extender;
- Extends the MAC service of a Bridge Port across the interconnected Bridge Port Extenders, including support of Customer Virtual Local Area Networks (C-VLANs).
- Establishes the requirements of bridge components and systems for the attachment of Bridge Port Extenders;
- Specifies a protocol to provide for the configuration and monitoring of Bridge Port Extenders by a Controlling Bridge; and
- Establishes the requirements for Bridge Management to support Port Extension, identifying the managed objects and defining the management operations.
The purpose of this standard is to extend a bridge, and the management of its objects, beyond its physical enclosure using 802 LAN technologies and interoperable interfaces.
Management of large networks is highly complex. This complexity may be reduced by aggregating the more complex bridging functions onto fewer bridges and by collapsing bridge layers from a management perspective.
|Status||PAR approved September 10th, 2011; Replaces 802.1Qbh (which was withdrawn September 10th, 2011). Approved May 14th, 2012; Published Jul 16th, 2012.|
|19 Jul 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-EchannelTermination-0711.pdf|
|19 Jul 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-pbbTEPortExtenderThoughts-0711.pdf|
|15 Aug 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-ExtAddress-0811.pdf|
|15 Aug 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-ReplyToSender-0811.pdf|
|16 Aug 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-ExtECIDs-0811.pdf|
|19 Sep 2011||Presentation br-martin-cfm-ports-0911.pdf|
|20 Sep 2011||Presentation br-pelissier-pevdp-thoughts-0911.pdf|